Pursuant to the general welfare clause provision of Section 16 of RA 7160, otherwise known as the “Local Government Code of 1991”, the Scholarship on Tertiary Education Program (STEP) is being instituted by the City of Government of Davao in order for the under-privileged students to have access to college education and make a career of their own, with the end-view of alleviating their families’ economic status and subsequently bring about progress and prosperity in the society. For its effective, fair and sustainable implementation, the City Government is hereby establishing clear-cut guidelines, criteria and requirements.
To qualify for the Scholarship Program, a student should possess the following qualifications:
- Must be a resident of Davao City.
- Should be of good moral character.
- Must belong to an indigent or below-average income earning family, as pre-determined by the City Social Services and Development Office (CSSDO).
- Must be a graduate of any public or private secondary school in Davao City.
- Shall enroll in, but not limited to, any of the courses prescribed by STEP, in accordance with the priority programs provided by CHED.
- Must not be a recipient of any scholarship/financial aids/grants from any government agency, non-governmental agency, foundation, and the like, except for academic scholarship granted by the school for honor students.
- Shall enroll in any school in Davao City, duly recognized by the Commission on Higher Education.
- Only one (1) child per family can avail the scholarship.
- Should willfully accept the responsibilities of a scholar as set forth in Section 7 of the City Mayor’s Executive Order which created this program.
- The above qualification requirements, notwithstanding, the City Mayor may, by reason of poverty, abandonment, abuse and other meritorious grounds, exercise discretion and allow the conditional admission of an applicant subject to the rules and guidelines of the program.
As basis for the approval of the student’s application for the scholarship program and prior to the execution of a contract between the City Government of Davao and the grantee, the latter shall submit to the EBSU Office the following documents, to wit:
- Accomplished Scholarship Application Form
- Certificate of Residency issued by the Barangay Captain
- Certificate of Indigency issued by the CSSDO
- For students who belong to indigenous tribe: Certificate from the NCIP or OMA
- For Differently-Abled Person: Certification from the City Health Office
- Income Tax Return for both parents, if both are working
- Certificate of Good Moral Character
- For incoming freshmen:
a. Form 138
b. NCAE Result
c. Recommendation letter from the principal, school administrator or instructor.
d. Official results of qualifying examination conducted by the school where the applicant intends to enroll.
- For college students:
a. Transcript of Records
- For ALS students:
a. Alternative Learning System Accreditation & Equivalency Test